- MMM MONTHLY GET TOGETHER MTG! Every Second Thursday at 7:00 PM, Dinner at the Castle Cafe in Castle Rock. Monitor the Yahoo web group for info.
- For Club and Newsletter info email: email@example.com
- Join our FF Club web group for current comment and chatter: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MMMFreeFlight/
- And… join the FAC Eaglerock Squadron for scale modeling fun at: https://groups.yahoo.com/group/EaglerockFAC
- Join the National Free Flight Society at: www.freeflight.org
What we are about:
- The MMM Free Flight Club is ALWAYS looking for those interested model airplane flyers that want a different challenge or just want to recreate those fun modeling experiences other than RC or Control Line. Free Flight is the original form of flying model aircraft and a step into making airplanes fly by themselves with no control. Learning this valuable technology is a wonderful experience.
- We also support Educational Programs like STEM, TSA and S/O.
- We are affiliated with the National Free flight Society (NFFS) at freeflight.org and the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) at modelaircraft.org
Monitor the MMM Yahoo Group for latest Info at:
FAC Corner – *** FAC Squadron in the Rockies… the “Colorado Eaglerock Squadron, FAC”
Fellow FAI, AMA, NFFS, and SAM Fliers, Come join us for the MMM’s 41st Annual 14-Rounder, Sat-Sun, July 11-12, 2020 in Denver, CO. Click the Link Below for Info
COVID-19 Guidelines for 2020 MMM 14-R Contest
The MMM is committed to providing all competitors and guests with a safe, healthy environment for enjoying free flight. We ask that you do your part, by following these Guidelines.
- At all times, please socially distance from your timekeepers, helpers, and other competitors. If you must congregate, remember to wear a mask. Two masks, two nitrile gloves, and a bottle of hand sanitizer will be provided in your “goody bag.”
- Please use hand sanitizer frequently throughout the day. In addition to the bottle in your goody bag, there will also be a large pump bottle near the CD tent and one in the porta-potty.
- Your goody bag will contain 4 separate time cards: one for each day of FAI events and one for each day of AMA/NFFS/SAM events. You should be the only person to handle your time cards and pencils. After making an official flight, write your scores on the card with the pencil provided in your goody bag and write in the initials of your timer. (Please Don’t use a pen, because the spray sanitizer we’ll use when we collect the cards at the end of the day will smear ink.) Your time cards are the official records for the contest, so please keep track of them and turn them in at the end of each day.
- Periodically throughout the day, please go to the score table and call out your scores to the CD working there. They will write your scores on the score board. Remember to socially distance when you’re near the score board or CD tent. We’ll mark off certain areas with yellow caution tape to remind you. To help us keep the score board results current, please report your scores after each round in FAI events, and every hour or so in the AMA/NFFS/SAM events. It can negatively impact the sporting nature of the contest if a competitor holds back their scores and only reports them late in the day.
It’s a great time of the year to get away from the summer heat and enjoy flying on a 22,000-acre field with a fabulous view of the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains. Warm days, cool nights, and friendly competition. We’ll have a large slate of FAI, AMA, NFFS, and SAM events. It’s a 2-day Free Flight festival! For more details and to register, please see the announcement attached to this e-mail. Note the early-registration discount if your registration is received or postmarked no later than June 30, 2020. As usual, for F1A, B, C fliers, we’ll have two separate 7-round contests, one on Saturday and one on Sunday, plus perpetual trophies for the overall 14-round winners. F1P, and Q will also be flown in the same format. For F1G, H, J, and S, we’ll have 4 rounds each day, plus overall winners. And if you have some older FAI models you don’t fly anymore, bring them out for our Legacy FAI events! We sure hope to see you in July. Free Flight Forever! Pete McQuade and John McGrath CDs, MMM 14-Round Contest
|Coupe Contest – CANCELLED||22 March|
|Scramble – CANCELLED||26 April|
|Casino Cup (Wendover NV)||20-21 June|
|Annual FAI 14-Rounder||10-12 July|
|Rocky Mountain Free Flight Champs||5-7 September|
|Scramble (Late Day & Kid’s Contest)||20 September|
|Scramble (Frito Pie)||1 November|
|Fall Indoor Classic||13 December|
|Annual Meeting||9 January 2021|
Monitor MMMFreeFlight@yahoogroups.com and keep informed for latest updates flying dates and times too.
Hi All, For those who don’t know me I’m John Christensen. I am the new
Indoor Coordinator for the MMM club.
We have indoor flying dates to choose from at the Beth Eden gym at 2600 Wadsworth blvd. The gym will open up at 6:00 pm.
NOTE: Indoor Flying CANCELLED until further Notice !!!
| Sci Oly Southern Regionals Pueblo|
|29 Feb (Leap day Saturday)|
|Indoor at Manitou HS||1 March|
|Pikes Peak Ceiling Climb||8 March|
| || |
Contest Fees and Dues can be paid by Paypal…scroll waay down (up?)
FAI Licenses for USA
With the change in FAI licenses that we have noted in earlier issues of SEN. They are now only issued for USA flyers by the NAA, no longer the AMA, and through the NAA web site at
The AMA has helped some members go through this process, but you should go directly to the NAA site and do it your self
FAI Legacy Event to be flown at the Monthly Scrambles:
2019 Field Notes:
FIELD CATTLE FENCING – ELECTRIC !!
Click here for info and location map: mmm-field-cattle-wire
New Gate Lock Procedures on the Lowry Range – Important !
Due to a new State Land Board policy, all lessees (e.g., Conoco Phillips, the Hunt Club, the grazing lessee, etc.) and MMM now have their own locks on the gates to the LowryRange.
There are many locks on the gate now, so you need to be extra careful that you DO NOT LOCK OUT another lock by bypassing it when you lock the gate. They should all be linked in series a continuous “chain” so that any lessee can open and close the gate with their lock. Locking out someone else is a sure way to get our lock cut and removed. It also antagonizes other lessees, and we can’t afford to do that. Please make sure that any guests you invite to the field are aware of this. These things may be obvious to us, but they probably aren’t to someone new to the field or who hasn’t encountered multiple locks on a gate before.
If you have any questions about this, especially, if you’re at the gate and are uncertain of what to do, or if you need the combination (which is new since last November) please call or text:
Pete McQuade, 719-433-5346.
Chuck Etherington, 720-201-6218
Don DeLoach, 719-964-7117
For security, we prefer not to give the combination over a widespread e-mail message or on the club website.
Check Back, for updates
The MMM Club at the field….free flight is “cool!”
- Wouldn’t You Like To Be a Part of This?
Now, some of the frequently asked questions about Free flight and what one can do to be part of it?
- How does one join? What are the dues? ( MMM dues to the club primarily defray the field lease cost for a place to fly.) Joining the MMM Club is easy. Dues are described in the linknoted at the top and for younger flyers, is waived. .
- The Club Flying Field The MMM Club is fortunate to have one of the finest Free Flight Fields available. It is leased from the Colorado State Land Board and hence their is responsibility involved. The field is located east of E470 on Quincy Avenue in Aurora Colorado. Details on accessing the field are available from the club contacts listed above in “Gate Lock Procedures,” however, the ability to fly on the field is subject to State Land Board and MMM Club Restrictions.
- Field Use and Access Current club members (AMA membership is required for membership) have 24/7 access to the field. Non club members with a valid AMA membership are welcome to fly on the field during club sponsored events.
- Can I come out to the field and watch? We encourage spectators to come out to the field during our flying events and watch the activity. One must first notify the contest director or one of the club officers. The contacts are listed above in “Gate Lock Procedures.”
- I used to build models and I am just getting back into the hobby. What should I do to catch up with the current trends? Will someone help me learn to fly a free flight model? We are a club that encourages participation and are willing to provide what help is necessary to new and returning modelers who are showing an interest in Free Flight Modeling.
- My child flies S/O or TSA models. Where are some club activities so that we can join in? The good news we mentor many S/O and TSA young flyers. The GREAT news is our kids usually take honors in the S/O and TSA programs. Our mentors are World Class and National winners.
Pay your MMM Dues or Contest Fees with Paypal!
- Log in to paypal.com
- Click on “Send Money” in the upper menu bar
- In the “To” block, type in firstname.lastname@example.org, the amount, and click the button “Services”
In the next form where you confirm payment, in the Lower “Subject” and “Message” boxes state what the money is for… annual dues, entry fees and such. When pre-entering a contest that needs event selection or similar, you still need to send in the pre-registration form to the Contest Directors.